Celebrate St. Paddy’s Day with Healthy Snacks
Most people will be celebrating St. Patrick’s day with their favorite holiday fare — corned beef, cabbage, and (if of age), a tall beer. But this year, if you want to stay “green” in every way, why not try a few healthier alternatives using some delicious spring ingredients to share with your family and friends? Here is one sure-fire combination that you’ll love — and best of all, it’s perfect for any meal throughout St. Patrick’s Day, including dessert!
Green Spinach Pancakes
This is a personal favorite, and even those fussy eaters who can’t believe that the words “spinach” and “pancakes” could ever be in the same recipe will be astounded. Healthy, green, and bursting with flavor, this treat is packed with enough vitamins and nutrients to serve as a proper meal (not just breakfast), and can be coupled with fresh fruits and vegetables for a unique and refreshing dessert choice.
- 2 cups nonfat plain Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 cups fresh baby spinach
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 2 eggs
- 1 cup whole wheat flour
- 1 cup white whole wheat flour
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- Blend Greek yogurt, milk, and spinach together until a green liquid forms (you can do this in a blender or food processor).
- Next, add in honey and eggs.
- Blend flour until combined.
- Stir in baking powder and baking soda.
- Cook on a hot, greased griddle pan.
- Serve with your favorite toppings.
Banana and Avocado Dessert Plate
Nothing says “green” like St. Patrick’s Day, and nothing says refreshing like spring avocados! Here, combine the best of both for a visually-beautiful plate that will burst with flavor. You can serve with the spinach pancakes for a healthy, protein-rich dessert.
- 2 frozen bananas
- 1/2 avocado
- 1/4 cup pistachios (divided)
- 1 tablespoon shredded coconut
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/4 teaspoon almond extract
- Freeze two bananas the day before. Cut them in half before placing them in the freezer.
- Take pistachios out of their shells and measure them in a quarter cup.
- Take a small handful of pistachios and crush them with something flat. Set aside for later.
- Place all the ingredients (except for your crushed pistachios) in a blender or processor.
- Blend until you reach the consistency of soft-serve ice cream.
Contact Hearn Kirkwood Today
Hearn Kirkwood is a privately held Food Service Distributor specializing in produce, meat, poultry, dairy, and fresh seafood. We purchase 90% of our fresh produce direct from California, Florida, Texas, etc. with the balance supplied by local markets. We are located within one mile of Route 295 and I95 providing us with easy access to Baltimore, Washington, and Virginia.