Make Your Own Energy-Boosting Trail Mix!
Maintaining a healthy lifestyle can be incredibly tricky in a world full of fast food, deliciously terrible-for-you options, and overworked people who don’t want to cook after a long day at work. Luckily, trail mix is a healthy option for snacking that can boost your energy and save you time during preparation. Here are some of our favorite energy-boosting trail mixes to help you maintain a healthy lifestyle.
How to Make Your Trail Mix
Making trail mix is as easy as gathering your ingredients and combining them in a bag! The most common base ingredients are all components of a healthy lifestyle and include nuts, seeds, dried fruit, grains, sweets, savory add-ins, and more.
- Since nuts are loaded with healthy fats and protein, they are a great choice for trail mix. However, make sure that you don’t add in too many or your trail mix could be about as healthy as a fast food burger.
- Choose unsalted nuts so that your trail mix isn’t incredibly high in salt
- Top picks include almonds, pistachios, cashews, peanuts, and walnuts
- If you don’t like nuts or just want another high-fat crunchy add in, seeds are an excellent choice packed with minerals. Just like with nuts, choose unsalted or unsweetened seeds.
- Top picks include pumpkin seeds, sunflower seeds, sesame seeds, flax seeds, or hemp seeds
- Dried fruit can be packed with sugar if it’s sweetened, so only put in a small amount to add a little extra sweetness and excitement
- Top picks include dried apples, cherries, cranberries, blueberries, strawberries, apricots, raisins, banana chips, pineapple, and dates
- Grains offer you complex carbohydrates that will fill you up and give you the energy that you need
- Top picks include shredded wheat cereal squares, granola, toasted oats, puffed rice cereal, or unbuttered popcorn
- Sweets are a great way to make trail mix seem a little bit more exciting, but use them in moderation to maintain a healthy lifestyle
- Sweets can include candy-coated chocolates, chips, cacao nibs, chocolate or yogurt covered raisins, mini marshmallows, or even chocolate-coated nuts
Live a Healthy Lifestyle with Hearn Kirkwood
Hearn Kirkwood is a private Food Service Distributor that specializes in produce, meat, poultry, dairy, and fresh seafood in the Baltimore, Washington, and Virginia area. We have been servicing our valued customers for over 70 years, and we are dedicated to providing all of our customers with the freshest and tastiest products available at competitive prices (and delivered with unparalleled customer service). For more information, give us a call (410) 712-6000 or visit us online. For more ways to transform your eating habits, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Flickr, LinkedIn.