Summer Picnic Tips - The Healthy Way
Thanks to all of the delicious fruits and vegetables that are in season during the summer, it’s incredibly easy to have a healthy summer picnic. While the food is plentiful during the summer months, it’s a particularly risky time of year for eating outside thanks to the high temperatures. Here are our best tips to keep your summer picnic from falling victim to the hot sun.
Before You Go On Your Picnic
Preparation is key, and maintaining proper kitchen hygiene can help to prevent issues once you start snacking outside.
- Always wash your hands and preparation tools before getting started in the kitchen
- When preparing foods, always keep raw meat and seafood separated from everything else to prevent cross-contamination and foodborne illnesses
- If using a marinade for your meat, let the marinade and bag sit in the refrigerator the entire time. Never use the same bag of marinade for other meat later unless it’s been boiled to kill off bacteria
- Use a well-insulated cooler with an inside temperature below 40 degrees for storing your picnic food
Once you arrive at your picnic site and starting the cooking process, it’s important to maintain food safety just like you do inside of your kitchen at home.
- Keep raw and cooked meats totally separate at the grill
- Cook all foods to the proper temperature (and bring along a meat thermometer if you aren’t sure)
- Keep grilled food hot until served on the grill away from the coals or flame
- Keep tools that touched raw meat completely separate from other eating or serving utensils
Serve it Up
Once the hard work is done, follow these quick serving tips:
- Cold foods should be kept below 40 degrees before serving
- Hot foods should be kept above 140 degrees until serving
- If food has been sitting outside for more than 2 hours (or more than 1 hour in 90+ degree weather), dispose of it
Live a Healthy Lifestyle with Hearn Kirkwood
Hearn Kirkwood is a private Food Service Distributor that specializes in produce, meat, poultry, dairy, and fresh seafood in the Baltimore, Washington, and Virginia area. We have been servicing our valued customers for over 70 years, and we are dedicated to providing all of our customers with the freshest and tastiest products available at competitive prices (and delivered with unparalleled customer service). For more information, give us a call (410) 712-6000 or visit us online. For more ways to transform your eating habits, follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Flickr, LinkedIn.